InterAct - The online marketing blog

Friday, September 09, 2005

The saddest thing

"I feel about airplanes the way I feel about diets. It seems to me they are wonderful things for other people to go on."

- Jean Kerr

I saw this quote today and it reminded me of a typical thinking of quite a good portion of people who are thinking about going "on the web". "The web is super cool and all that, but I would prefer not to invest at this time, thank you"

If you have followed the speech form Rupert Murdoch the other day you have probably noticed that even the big ones are changing their attitude to the online presence and marketing, and it is really amazing when you here words like "I suspect many of you in this room did the same, quietly hoping that this thing called the digital revolution would just limp along. " And the saddest thing is that they really thought that it will eventually limp along.

In many ways I think that his speech has moved a good amount of people to really think again about the Internet. Although I can not understand what has taken them so long... The fear of not knowing the net and its properties has certainly played a big role in these decisions, but hey, why do you think that the bravest always win!

On the other hand the fear of investing on the net is really a thing of the past. All the international and national organizations that are involved in online marketing have produced so much proof of the fact that online advertising is working and that produces great results, that this fear is more of an excuse to me...

Read Murdoch's speech...